The Windows Systems Engineer position will involve working in an Operations and Maintenance (O&M) environment on a federal government contract with a team of systems administrators involving frequent collaborative efforts with network engineering team and Operations and Maintenance (O&M) departments to support a variety of customer environments across multiple data centers. The position will also include regular communication and support responsibilities to both the O&M and customers in multiple geographic regions. This position will perform Microsoft Windows Server administration, monitoring network traffic, capacity planning and testing; install and implement security patches, evaluate systems and implement network management software. Keep abreast of technical developments of importance and participate in developing or setting standards. Manage change control for designated systems. Continuous understanding of the business processes the system(s) support.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain a server management strategy.
- Configure and manage WSUS server and services for Microsoft Server patching
- Configure and manage Patch Management Software from SolarWinds
- Provide general technical support to the service center and network services staff to resolve end-user issues.
- Provide technical support for server OS-based issues.
- Provide technical support for SFTP application and server based issues.
- Routinely review server OS event logs and mitigate any identified issues.
- Conduct performance testing and tuning on host and operating systems.
- Maintain the infrastructure server updates and engine definitions at appropriate levels.
- Perform operating system vulnerability scans according to NIST 853, 20 Critical Controls.
- Monitor and maintain hardware for all VM and standalone servers.
- Review, test, and install appropriate firmware, security patches and upgrades for all Windows-based operating systems at various locations and enclaves.
- Provide remediation plans for the testing and implementation of third-party firmware and security patches on the infrastructure servers.
- Develop and maintain a server security profile.
- Act as secondary for the management and support of VMware ESX.
- Act as secondary for the management and support of Exchange.
- Maintain weekly and monthly Service Level Requirements (SLR) documentation for server status.
- Monitor and maintain a baseline configuration for development, test and production servers.
- Provision virtual servers as requested.
- Facilitate technical support and troubleshooting by third party engineers.
- Review system requirements and provide recommended designs for optimal server build and configuration.
- Maintain server OS levels at approved versions.
- Manage and maintain Windows firewall profiles.
- Develop, maintain and routinely test an OS recovery process.
- MCSA or MCSE certification
- Build, install, tune, maintain, support, update, patch, and troubleshoot Microsoft Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2016
- Backup and restore related technology experience
- Knowledge of application servers
- Knowledge of capacity management
- Good understanding of security issues surrounding server OS and applications
- Experience monitoring service thresholds
- Experience in management of VMware ESX
- Experience working with EMC SAN or equivalent
- Experience with Exchange
- Web server configuration and management
- Experience with virtualization of applications (VMWare)
- Data manipulation and extraction skills
- Understanding of infrastructure concepts related to Hosting, Networks, IP Address Management, Firewalls, Certificates, Load Balancing and Proxy.
- Above average understanding of operating systems, applications software and Data Management Concepts
- Strong understanding of Internet protocols including HTTP, SSL, TCP, IP
- Work in a team environment
- Excellent attention to detail
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to work maintenances on weekends (twice a month)
- Some on-call responsibility for emergency situations
Required Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree and 8 years; or without degree 10 or more years of experience related to position.
Please wait while your job application is being processed. This may take a few moments.
Washington D.c., DC 20581
Zachary Piper Solutions